Monday, April 12, 2010

good is the enemy of best


Yesterday, I returned home from Rubies and Pearls. It was the most fantastic weekend. What a growing experience... I gave a message on Friday night about living in Freedom...and saying YES to freedom and no to everything else. I had such an incredible time preparing for my message, and then giving it. I loved being up in the mountains with such lovely women, and I loved being with the bad girls in the grown up cabin. There were so many layers to the weekend, layers of emotion and fun and wonder. I cannot believe it's over.

As a result, I think I am suffering from post Rubies and Pearls blues. It has been hanging over my head for the past few months, and now I find myself feeling a bit aimless. Today at work I just sat there and wondered what I am supposed to do now. I think I know what I am supposed to do, but it scares me. I have been thinking and talking for a while now about not being a slave to fear, and about jumping off the cliffs of adventure... but I think I find it much simpler to jump when I know that if I fail it will only be in my career...

The wise John Sutton would always say that good is the enemy of best; when you have it good, you allow that to be enough. I don't want to settle for good, I want the best. I didn't realize how difficult it can be to reach for the best when the good is looking pretty comfortable. As I think about that saying, I think that a good life can be kind of monotonous. Good can be a rut, but if you are always pursuing your BEST life, then you know that you are headed somewhere, and suddenly things get a little more exciting.

"Now listen, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.' Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, 'If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that.' As it is, you boast and brag. All such boasting is evil. Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins."
James 4:13-17

No comments:

Post a Comment